Tuesday 18 June 2013

Gems From The Treasure Cave Of Sati #1: In The Name Of Dog

Every now and then something happens - an event, a conversation - that's just begging to be be written down. And as I'm someone who's trying to become a writer again - for I haven't been one for a long time - it seems prudent to, you know, write.

I skype with Dr Chris every couple weeks. Either for my own therapy (when I need it), or to  catch up on work stuff if we miss each other when we're at the center, or just to catch up. We're friends, as well as colleagues and therapist-client. (It's an unconventional and some would say 'wrong' arrangement, but it works for us.) I'm not currently in therapy, and I'm off work from now until September or October, but we had a friendly talk today.

Today I got to 'meet' Doc's six-year-old niece, Sasha, and her schnauzer puppy, who is named - wait for it - epididymis.

This name came about due to a six-year-old's mishearing of one of the Labyrinth characters, and an uncle with a medical degree and an offbeat sense of humor who egged her on.

No relation to testicles, except for the excessive fur.

Doc's sister does not have a medical degree, nor a particularly offbeat sense of humor, and she's cursing the fact that nobody picked up on the puppy's name until after he'd learned to respond to it. Now, of course, they're stuck, since nobody wants to try and retrain him to answer to a new name. *grins*

I have to say, though, it makes my own childhood choice of James Pond Bubble-Oh-Seven (goldfish) and Anna and Michael's Catticus Finch (American Shorthair) look positively mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment