Friday 12 September 2008

Ghost Stories

So I know I owe all you guys the rest of my holiday news, but there was something else I wanted to talk to you about:

When I was a kid, my mom gave me this cool book. I was an avid reader as a kid, read everything I could get my hands on - actually it's only in the last couple of years that I've found I don't read so much. As a kid I liked almost everything, but my favourite subject was the supernatural: werewolves, vampires, spontaneous human combustion, witches (both of the pointy-hat and the Wiccan type), but especially ghosts. So my mother, who always encouraged the aquisition of knowledge (of whatever type) bought me a lot of books. Some of which were probably too grown-up for me, but I remained blissfully ignorant of this fact for many years.

This was a really neat book, though. It was a book of ghost stories, and I'm not entirely sure if it was meant for kids or adults. Perhaps both. It was my first introduction to several authors who I consequently read more of - Franz Kafka, Guy de Maupassant, Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, Ray Bradbury, Philip Pullman, Robert Westall and a couple others - and although I haven't seen the damn book for years and years (I can only assume it's packed away somewhere in my black hole of an attic), most of the stories have stayed with me for the last eighteen years.

SO...what I want to know is, does anyone know what this book is called? Because I can't remember, and even though I'm pretty good at searching things out over the internet, so far I've had no luck.

It was a big fat hardcover book with a black cover, and a picture of a skeleton with a hooded cape on it. I think it was just called "Ghost Stories".

I can't remember all the stories, but the ones I remember are:

~ A Knock at the Manor Gate by Franz Kafka
~ Video Nasty by Philip Pullman
~ Was it a Dream? by Guy de Maupassant
~ A Pair of Hands by Arthur Quiller-Couch
~ The Emissary by Ray Bradbury
~ The Boys' Toilets by Robert Westall?

There were also stories called:

Not at Home (maybe)
Thurnley Abbey (I think)
A Legion Marching By

by authors whose names I can't remember. And a story by Philippa Pearce, the title of which evades me.

No more info that I can think of, but bear in mind this is from when I was six!

So if anyone remembers this book, or even any of the stories in it, send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment