Thursday 12 August 2010

Shopping

The day before yesterday, I made the final payment on my five-year bank loan, and yesterday I shopped.



Actually, for someone who's been poor for the last five years (poorer than usual, I mean), I think I did quite well not to buy up the entire town. I bought some boring things, like phone credit and deodorant and facial scrub and cleanser. I bought a tuna crunch baguette and a packet of yum-yums (and yes, I ate them). I bought a couple of books - Janet Evanovich's "Finger-Lickin' Fifteen", and collected works of Shelley and Tennyson (which were £4.99 each for a huge book, as opposed to £8.99 for a little slim one - I need to buy more from that publisher). I observed with happiness that Charlaine Harris' "Dead and Gone" is now out in paperback, although I didn't buy it. I looked for a copy of T.H. White's "The Once and Future King", but couldn't find it in either the Sci-Fi / Fantasy section, or the Classics.


I had a quiet but heated argument with myself about whether I really needed a pair of lilac satin strappy 5-inch stiletto heels. I lost, and now I have a pair of ridiculously hot shoes that I'm 95% sure I won't be able to wear outside the bedroom. I'm a little scared by the height, to be honest, although they're actually fairly comfy. The last time I wore shoes that high was when I was doing a photoshoot wearing Vivienne Westwood, and they actually had to bind the shoes to my feet with clear tape so I wouldn't wobble and break an ankle. Happily, I seem to find it easier to walk in them than I did back then.


I finally got a copy of "Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks" at a decent price, so that's taken up much of my last 24 hours.


After Chrissie's urging, I got a Ped-Egg, and I'm not yet convinced that it works any better than a regular file, but we'll see.


The last thing I ended up with was a long black dress. I'm not sure about the dress yet. H & M's sizes seem to be getting smaller and smaller, at least in the shoulders and arms, and even though I bought a size larger than I usually wear from there, the arms are tight. Plus it has a little hole in the shoulder, which I didn't see when I bought it. But I don't know, maybe I'll keep it. It's very plain, no frills or frou-frou, and made of the softest cotton, and would work equally well as a nightdress. And I do need a new nightdress; most of my old ones are now halfway up my thigh instead of on the knee.


I'm sure there's plenty that I should be posting about my current life, but this is a happy post, and it's staying that way.


Oh sheesh, I don't have time, anyway - I have to go pick Mom up from the hospital. She had her back surgery today, and is getting discharged in a half hour. She seemed pretty perky when she called me a few minutes ago, so fingers crossed it worked this time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment