Sunday 11 July 2010

Lazy Days

Ohhhh...what I would give to be lying on a beach right now, or by a private outdoor pool, or by the lake in Milton Keynes. *sigh*

Becki and I went skating in Milton Keynes this morning. I've been dreaming about ice skating for years now, but I hadn't actually been since my head injury (i.e. having the reset button hit on all things to do with co-ordination) so I didn't know if my body would remember how to do it. Well, at first I didn't, but I got better. I did totally tank it once, but only once, and that was when I was skating over a really rough patch left by one of the show-off speed skaters. :) But ohhh, it was wonderful. The skating, not the falling on my ass. I wasn't anything like in my dream - in my dreams I can spin and jump and generally look like a fairy princess of the ice, and today I wasn't very good. But it FELT good. I felt so free out there, even though my feet hurt a lot.

I hadn't been to Milton Keynes for about ten years, and I forgot how much I love it there. In summer, especially, it looks to me like someone plonked down a strange, modern city, complete with lake, in the middle of a field. Everything is so flat and new and summery and...well, unhaunted that I feel totally at home there. I especially love the lake - it looks so much cleaner than Stanborough, and there were all these boaters and windsurfers on there. I haven't windsurfed in years either, principally because I can't find anywhere to do it, and I really really want to spend some time at the lake this summer. It's not a beautiful natural lake like the ones you see in Scotland or America; it's definitely man-made and really more of a reservoir than a lake, but there's something about it that makes me feel totally at home. :)

So that was my day. Sadly I've missed Tesco and nearly missed the gym, so I'm just going to stroll up to the Co-Op to get something to eat, and then take a nap.


[There was a recipe for cornbread here, but I haven't decided yet whether to put recipes in this blog or not.]

No comments:

Post a Comment