Friday 11 March 2011

Do Not Screw With Me, Motherfucker - I Have Physics On My Side

My clumsiness is getting on top of me today. This evening, before I collapsed on my bed and fell asleep (at 9pm!) I was changing the bed and felt the headboard (can you call it a headboard when it's made of metal tubes?) move and squeak. It's been doing it for a couple weeks, and it's really, really annoying. So I figured, easy enough to tighten up. Went to get my toolkit. Used an alan key to tighten the screw that I thought was causing it. Dropped my alan key. Bent down to get it, and kicked it into the big crack between my skirting board and floorboards. I can see now why Mom uses ones that have little holes in the bottom and hang on a ring altogether.

Argh. No way to rescue it, that I can see. I can't get my fingers in there, the crack's less than a centimeter wide, and I have sausage fingers. But I don't want to leave it there, either, since then my toolkit would be incomplete - never mind that it's already missing a screwdriver that I lent to one of the idiotic and disorganized lodgers, who swore that they gave it back. (Lies, all lies!)

Tried to go in with pliers. Pliers are too thick. Tried to go in with wire cutters. Wire cutters are thin enough, but the head's the wrong shape. Tried to go in with tweezers. Tweezers are small and the right shape, but don't grip properly, and the alan key keeps falling out, when I can grip it at all.

What to do? Went downstairs, got a small, long magnet from the fridge door. Not strong enough. Went and got a bigger magnet. Strong enough, but too big to get down the crack. Time to give up, you think? Hell no!

Stuck the big magnet to the top of the tweezers, turning them into a magnet too. Went in with tweezers, and ta dah! The alan key stuck to them. Result.

Now I have a scraped thumb, and I had to take another bath since I got dirty lying on the floor. But I also have a full set of alan keys. And my headboard doesn't squeak.

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment