Sunday 16 December 2012

Recipes - Tuna-Pasta Salad


Tuna-Pasta Salad

WARNING: Must be made the day before you plan to eat it!

Ingredients:

1 can John West tuna chunks in sunflower oil (234)

1/2 medium onion (23)

1/4 cucumber (11)

2 tbsp Hellman's mayonnaise (180)

300g (dry weight) farfalle pasta (1071)

1/4 tsp dried oregano (1)


Method:

1) Cook pasta until as preferred. I like it soft (but not soggy) for this recipe; you may prefer al dente (firm).

2) Drain tuna. Press out as much oil as possible without cutting your fingers on the can.

3) Pick over the tuna to remove the black scaly bits. Only necessary if you're a fusspot like me.

4) Dice veg. Size is not really important, although I usually make 0.5cm x 0.5cm chunks.

5) Chuck everything in a bowl. Mix around.

6) Season with salt and pepper as needed.

7) Cover and leave in fridge overnight. This is very important. It doesn't taste right if you eat it the day you make it. I suppose you could probably get away with making it early morning and eating it for a late dinner, but I'd strongly suggest making the day before.

Serves 4...or one person four times. :) 380 calories a serving (according to My Fitness Pal).

You can reduce calories (a bit) by using tuna in spring water instead of oil and light mayonnaise. I don't like light mayo, and am allergic to most kinds of tuna, which is why I've specified the ones I have. You can use any brand, though.

You can also mess around with ingredient quantities. I often use less pasta and two cans of tuna / twice the veggies if I feel like I need more protein and vitamins. I think it's yummier with less pasta, personally, but it does make it quite a bit more expensive, and I'm on a budget. As this recipe stands, it costs about £4 / $8 - so £1 / $2 a serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment