Wednesday 9 February 2011

Koko Wa Toire Dewa Arimasen! Dame!

I have three laughs.

The first one, the one you'll hear more often than not, is light, a little bit throaty, and I'm told quite pleasant. This one means I'm happy, or contented, or pleased with something. Normal people seem to like hearing this laugh, although in my neighborhoods - both the one where I live and the one where I work - I do have to keep reassuring people that I'm not laughing at them. People from the wrong side of the tracks tend to be a bit paranoid about stuff like that.

Laugh No. 2 comes from deep down in the belly, and comes out either as a goose's honk or a witch's cackle. My mother loves this laugh - she says it really sounds like something's tickled me. This is the laugh that comes when I think something's really funny. When this laugh comes I am totally unfeminine; my mouth is wide open and all my teeth (including the fillings) are visible, and my eyes crinkle up and my nostrils flare. It's not a pretty laugh, but it's honest.

The third laugh is what people refer to as my Muttley laugh. I can't say how true this is, because I've never seen the cartoon (I think it's called Dastardly Dick? Sheesh, that's a dodgy thing to say on this site). But everyone who hears this laugh comments on it, and tells me I sound just like Muttley, so there must be some truth in it. This laugh is rare. It's completely uncontrolled, and almost silent, because I'm laughing so hard I can barely breathe. It makes my sides hurt. It makes my eyes stream tears till I can't see. It makes me gasp for breath. It's the kind of laughter that makes me glad for every moment of ballet training in my childhood, because if I hadn't learned excellent control of my muscles I'd be lying on the floor peeing myself.

The Muttley laugh has come out several times in the last couple weeks, mostly because of things I saw (either for the first time, or things that ALWAYS tickle me) on this site:

~
MGC's blog post Idiotic Signs, featuring a Japanese sign where the hand of God is shaking its finger at a man peeing on the street, and which I have so kindly Romaji-d up for you in the title of this post (Koko wa toire dewa arimasen! Dame! = This is not a toilet! Bad!) although I did put in the punctuation myself; kana is sadly lacking in exclamation marks.

~
Bard's words of wisdom on Kid's hijack post (HJT.....The plane crash was is so not being pinned on me....) about what men really think of pelvic-floor exercises: "You just need to do those kegger exercises.. I am not really sure how they work but I think you squat over a keg and practice picking it up with your cooter."

~
Thom's joke about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac. (I can't remember which post it was in, it was awhile ago.) I think this will be my new test for potential dates: if they don't get the joke, I don't want to go out with them.

~
Arty's post about snow puns: Let's Name This Bitch. I'm particularly taken with Chersnowbyl and Snow, the Humanity!

So all is not bad. I discovered my sense of humor recently. I know I've gone on about this a few times, here and in comments on your blogs, but it really is such a huge discovery for me.

*tired smile*

Thank you for the messages. They are much appreciated. I really am fine - well, sort of. If FINE is an acronym. In any case, none of this fading gray is going to kill me. I'll be around.


[And since you can't link to the other posts from this version of the blog:
Bard's words were already given. Thom's joke was, "What does an agnostic dyslexic insomniac do at night? Lies awake and wonders if there's a Dog." Arty's post was all about names for the giant blizzard that raged across the East Coast and the Midwest and included suggestions including but not limited to Snowprah, Snowtorious B.I.G., Snow My God, Eddie Blizzard, Snowmageddon and You're Taking The Blizz, in addition to my two favorites up there (Chersnowbyl and Snow, The Humanity!)

And MGC's sign?



That nearly made me pee myself.]

No comments:

Post a Comment