Sunday 5 September 2010

Happy Things

I figured you guys deserved a nice post after Friday's diatribe (well, sort of) about food. So, here goes.

Note: this is a list I wrote yesterday morning; today I didn't leave the house. Not depressed, just tired.


After yet another night of insomnia I gave up on sleep at about 9am and hauled myself out of bed to go buy groceries. I don't often go out early in the morning - I work nights, and tend to sleep until about midday, often later - and I was surprised at the amount of interesting things there were to see.

So, things that made me happy this morning:

- Sunshine! That's four nice days in a row, at the beginning of September - after we had EIGHT (count 'em, eight) sunny days during the whole of July and August. Go figure.

- A little shiny blue car with daisies painted all over it.

- The hot new doctor at my surgery.

- The guy walking behind me as I passed the carpet shop - looked like a middle-aged, bespectacled, short, balding accountant, but smelled like a god. (Or at least a CK model.)

- Fresh-baked bread in Tesco, still warm from the oven.

- The ivy on my favourite building in town (see FB photo album: My Town) which is really turning red now.

- The old lady on the bus who insisted we share my seat after I offered it to her. Bless her, it really wasn't big enough for two of us, but it seemed rude to refuse so I squished myself up with my groceries on my lap while she perched on the side.

- An absolutely beautiful little girl in a motorized wheelchair. The chair didn't make me happy, but the child did. She couldn't have been more than three or four - unless she had that brittle bone disease that makes you look younger than you are - but she was so smiley and happy, it made me feel a bit embarrassed for the amount of self-pity I have about my disabilities.

- The smell of spring rolls from the Chinese food cart. No amount of rationalising made it possible to justify Chinese food at 9am, but they sure did smell good.

How was your day? What made you happy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment