Friday 2 April 2010

Mmm...Suits...

I've been dreaming about men in suits a lot lately, probably due to the fact that I spent the better part of an hour in Moss Bros last week, pricing up suits for Ryan's prom. Mom and I agreed to go halves with Lori and Chris on a suit for him, although I'm not sure if he's going to rent or buy. Depends what he wants, really. If he wants a traditional dinner suit we're better off renting, because a decent one costs a lot, but if he wants something more casual it's probably better to buy - they have some fairly nice ones for £150, which is only twice the price of the same ones on rental. And he needs something to wear to job interviews.

I'm of the opinion that with his colouring he'd be better in a light gray - or even a charcoal - than in black, but I'm not sure Lauren agrees. One thing I DO know, though, is that he really shouldn't be borrowing one from Chris; Ry is about a foot taller than Chris and considerably slimmer. A suit should fit well, whether you buy it on sale or have it hand-tailored. It's been many years since I last went suit-shopping - probably Julian was the last person who asked my opinion on it - but it's not something you forget easily.

(Even when you forget everything else, LOL.)

In my dreams, I get to dress up a dozen of the males in my life, although the ones who are there appear to be a fairly random assortment. Some of them are people I barely talk to (and as ever, I use "in my life" very loosely) and am unlikely to EVER have a chance to pick out clothes for, but in my dreams they're like life-size Ken dolls. I put Curt in a classic dinner jacket, black silk-blend, shawl collar, and European-cut since he has that tall slim build that's a dream to dress. Matching pants and a muted red tie to make him look classic and timeless. James is there in a charcoal-gray three-button single-breasted, with a medium-blue waistcoat that reflects the colour of his eyes, white cravat and pocket square, and a white orchid buttonhole. Cameron I dress in a beautiful biscuit-coloured three-piece suit, made of some sort of linen-blend, with a looser, more American jacket worn open, and low-rider Italian-cut pants that show off his washboard abs, and a lovely brown hand-made leather belt. Tommy's wearing American-style cream, single-button, which surprises me since I don't usually approve of cream suits, but he's dark enough and handsome enough to carry it off. I think it's seersucker, and with the cream-and-navy diagnonal-striped tie he's wearing, he looks like he's walked out of New Orleans high society in the thirties. Chris from my Japanese class is wearing a double-breasted light wool in navy blue, with a turquoise shirt that brings out his red hair beautifully.

I can't remember who else was there; these are the ones I noticed right off. I love dressing men, especially ones I find attractive. I especially love good suits, love finding the right cut for a guy's body type, love determining a flattering colour scheme for them, love knowing a good fabric from a bad fabric and seeing how the seams lie. I don't care one whit for what's fashionable at the time: if a suit's cut well, sewn well, if the fit is right and the fabric is good quality, you can wear it for half a lifetime and look beautiful and stylish every time.

I did have something else to write, about a dream I had last night, and Apollo in a gray silk T-shirt, and me stroking and kissing his chest, but that'll have to wait until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment