Monday 12 April 2010

Seriously, Will You Grow The Fuck Up?

OK, I need to make one thing quite clear: If I view your profile, it does NOT necessarily mean that I want to fuck you. I generally don't like to speak for other people, but in this case I will: if ANYONE views your profile, it doesn't automatically assume they're lusting after you. Maybe it does mean that, maybe it doesn't, but making that assumption makes you...well, a bit of an ass. And writing someone a note to flame them for checking you out makes you more than a bit of one.

It's happened a couple times that people - usually women, but a couple of guys - have sent me bitchy emails, complaining about me viewing their profile. Various comments have been made, ranging from, "Are you some sort of an idiot? Can you not read?" to "RU some freaky dyke or sumthing?" to "your not my type, so stop checking me out" to my personal favourite, "girlz fucking other girlz is fucking sik man, get urself some dik and leave normal ppl alone".

I have a couple comments to make in response to these:

1) Yes, I can read. I taught myself to read when I was two and a half, and have been doing it avidly ever since. However, even with my love of words, I can't read what your profile actually says until I click on it. Therefore I will not know what you want from this site until I check you out.

2) I'm not any type of dyke, freaky or not. I do occasionally find women attractive, but I don't consider myself gay or bi. Not that it would be any of your business if I did.

3) Fine, I'm not your type. Most likely I realised this, which is why I didn't email you or flirt with you. But thanks for making it clear.

4) You're entitled to your beliefs, but seriously, stay far away from me. (Personally, *I* believe that lumping yourself in with the "normal" people is a bit of a stretch; I don't think of illiteracy and homophobia as being prerequisites to consider yourself average, but that's just my personal subjective opinion.)

If someone's checked you out repeatedly in a short time, then maybe you have cause to be annoyed. Or maybe not - there are some people, like me, who have brains like sieves and have to come back to people's profiles over and over if there's any chance of what we read sticking. If they're sending flirts or messages, when it should be clear to them that they're not what you're looking for, then perhaps you have a justification for yelling at them. (Although I personally just ignore the messages, unless they're repeated or offensive.) But we're talking about a profile view, for Pete's sake. Do you really get so few views, or have so much spare time on your hands, that you feel it necessary to get offended over every person who views your profile who isn't what you're looking for?

Seriously, grow up. And get a hobby.

Thank you. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment