Saturday 23 October 2010

MOBO Awards 2010-11

Sooo, I'm supposed to be blogging this a couple of days ago at the actual awards, but life interfered with my plans so the best I could do was a repeat on BBC1. Nevermind, there's always next year.

Anyway...

The show opens with Mark Ronson. I can't remember the name of the song, because it's one that I don't like. Mark looks cool though, with platinum Ken-doll hair (I saw it like this the other day on Buzzcocks). Whatever the first song is segues into "Money in my Pocket", with Wiley coming onto the stage to sing. Good way to start a show, everyone seems to like both Wiley and Ronson. I don't know why I can't warm up to Mark's music. Hmm...

The song finishes, and the next camera shot is of someone being carried in on a litter. Who is that person that they're carrying like a king? Heyyy, it's Reggie Yates, our co-presenter tonight. Nice to see him again, I haven't seen him in anything since Trinity.

Reggie stands up, introduces himself, and makes some joke about Jason Derulo. Ooh, Reg, I didn't know you could be a bit of a bitch. It's OK though, because DeRulo stands up and sings in the "queen" of the night...the lovely Alesha Dixon! She's wearing some bizarre concoction of magenta and black with Nicole Scherzinger-style shoulder pads, but it's OK, because hey, it's Alesha Dixon, and I still would. Reg looks bizarre but quite good in what appears to be a petrol-blue velvet jacket with a waistcoat underneath. He also has on geek-chic black-rimmed glasses - he's obviously channelling Tinie Tempah tonight - and they suit him well.

Best UK Hip-Hop is introduced, and Jermaine Jackson comes out to present it. What on earth is he wearing? Some sort of pantsuit with sequins all over. Oh well, he's a Jackson, he could wear anything he wanted and he wouldn't be the oddest one - probably wouldn't even be in the Top 5. Nominated for Best Hip-Hop are Giggs, Professor Green, Skepta, Akala and Wiley. I figure it'll go to Wiley or Skepta, hopefully the latter since he had such a great year, but Professor Green gets it. I guess his songs really took off. Actually, I liked the first one a lot, not so sure about the Lily Allen one.

JLS come on to present the Best Newcomer award, since they won it last year. Up for this one are Tinie Tempah, Professor Green, Scorcher, Labrinth and Devlin. It's gotta be Tinie, right? And it is. Sheesh, that man gets hotter every day. He can even get away with tight jeans, a style that I normally loathe on non-emo men. The JLS boys look pretty damn good too, not that I've ever seen them looking anything less than immaculate.

N-Dubz (who are interviewing people backstage) come and perform their new song. I can't remember what it's called - Best Behaviour, maybe? Not one of my favourites of their songs, but it's a good solid performance, and did anyone know Fazer could play the piano that beautifully? I'd never have guessed.

Best Album is up next, and Nelly's here presenting. The choices are Plan B's "The Defamation of Strickland Banks", JLS' self-titled, N-Dubz's "Against All Odds", Chipmunk's "I Am Chipmunk" and Dizzee Rascal's "Tongue in Cheek". I'm guessing it'll go to N-Dubz or Chipmunk (although surely Chipmunk's album came out more than a year ago?) but JLS get it. Well, that's nice. They're as sweet as ever when they accept.

Alesha comes to to perform "Drummer Boy". Another weird dress, this time white. Plus lots of hot male dancers to perv at - so the time goes quickly, even though I'm not in love with the song.

Ryan Thomas and Holly someone (I didn't catch her last name) come up to present Best Music Video. It's between Mark Ronson & The Business INTL ft. Q-Tip & MNDR's "Bang, Bang, Bang", Tinie & Labrinth's "Frisky", Tinchy Stryder's "You're Not Alone" (now I KNOW that one is more than a year old, they played it at the gym last summer), Alesha's "Drummer Boy" and Dizzee Rascal's "Dirtee Disco". I kind of hope Dizzee gets it, because the video for that was so hilarious, but I'm not disappointed when Tinie gets his second award of the night. Good, he's had a great year, and I'm glad that it's being recognized.

N-Dubz briefly interview Jay Sean, and when they ask him what British stuff they should take to America with them, he tells them Jaffa Cakes, Hob Nobs, Rich Tea, basically all kinds of biscuits. Bless, I'd happily take - or bake - him biscuits as long as he'd take me along with them. Next we're back to the stage, and Jay Sean's performing a musical mix. He looks good in jeans and a really beautifully cut tuxedo jacket, which has silk lapels with a notched collar instead of a shawl collar - good choice, he's too broad in the chest to wear a shawl collar well. Not sure about the trainers, boots would have been a better choice methinks. He performs well, though, and Skepta comes onstage to sing along with him on the last song, the title of which slips my mind atm.

Reg and Alesha are back. Who on earth picked her clothing for tonight? This one looks like two nice dresses were taken and made into one weird dress - silver lame top and a poufy white skirt. Oh well, she's still hot. Reg and a troupe of dancers decide to highlight past MOBO shows using the medium of interpretive dance while we hear songs from the past - Lighthouse Family's "Lifted", Mark Morrison's "Return of the Mack", Artful Dodger & Craig David's "Rewind", something by Wiley, and Dizzee Rascal's "Bonkers". Hmm. The dancers are very good, but not sure what their dances have to do with the previous shows. Nice bit of nostalgia though - I remember most of the shows from those times.

Backstage again, where N-Dubz are interviewing Tinie Tempah, who's looking smokin'. Ahhh, that smile...I could watch that all day. Our favourite trio all look a bit weird - Dappy's wearing way too much bling (why am I surprised?), Fazer's in some sort of lumberjack's plaid jacket and Tulisa is wearing a weird dress, I think it's supposed to be black and gold but on camera it comes out more olive green. Somehow she manages to pull it off, although I'm not sure I know anyone else who could.

Back in the main hall, and Professor Green's performing "Monster", along with the very sexy Ed Drewett. They perform well together, and I hope that they continue making music.

Best UK Act is up, and Michelle Williams is here with Ricky someone (again, I didn't catch his last name) to present. Ah, this is how a woman should dress at a show like this! She looks fantastic in a teal green dress. Up for this award are Tinie, Jay Sean, Taio Cruz, N-Dubz and JLS - all good candidates. I have my fingers crossed for Jay Sean, although this wasn't his best year, but JLS get it. Not that I'm disappointed, I get to see the yummy lads again, and Marvin actually speaks this time!

Tinie performs "Pass Out" and I nearly do. Phew.

N-Dubz chat a bit more from backstage. Tulisa is lying on a chaise-lounge, being fanned by men in grass skirts. Oh, the life of a celebrity...

Corinne Bailey Rae comes on to present Best Song. She looks nice, with a gray outfit and lots of hair. Up are Taio Cruz f. Ke$ha's "Dirty Picture", N-Dubz f. Mr Hudson's "Playing With Fire", Tinie Tempah's "Pass Out", Mark Ronson's "Bang Bang Bang" and Professor Green's "I Need You Tonight". Is Tinie gonna get yet another award? Nope, it goes to N-Dubz, and they dedicate it "to one man only - Uncle B". Is there really an Uncle B? Guess so.

Reggie's been moving from table to table through the evening, and now he's at JLS' table, so he interviews the lads and asks them what music they've really been liking this year. JB loves the whole of Drake's album - good choice. Marvin loves Tinie Tempah, Oritse loves Labrinth, and Aston asks if he should sing the song he's been singing in the shower for ages. Reg answers in the affirmative, and Aston starts singing "Billionnaire". Which leads right to the next performance, the delightful Travie McCoy. Bruno Mars isn't here tonight, so JLS get up on stage with him to sing the chorus. I've liked Travie ever since Gym Class Heroes released "Cupid's Chokehold", and for some reason he reminds me of Curt - they don't look or act anything alike, but there's something in the way they grin, and the way they hold their head when they're being charming.

Straight on from Travie's performance is Nelly singing "Just a Dream". I've never heard this song, but it's really nice. It's a nice understated performance, too, in contrast to the energy of the last one. Nelly looks really good in a navy blue sweater and - OMG, could it be! It is! Finally, a pair of jeans that fits properly. First ones I've seen this evening. And is that Slash in the background, playing guitar? Surely not, I must be imagining it.

Reg announces the Lifetime Achievement award, and Trevor Nelson comes on to talk about the recipient. He's looking pretty sharp in a nice plain suit, sort of mink-coloured. The jacket fits really well, and while I'm not a fan of pleat-front pants, they actually look alright on him. He says a couple of things about the recipient of the award, and it's pretty clear he's talking about Billy Ocean. Lovely, who doesn't like a bit of Billy Ocean? Billy comes out to recieve his award, and talks about how different it was in his day, and how happy he is that there are things around like the MOBOs, so artists can get the recognition they deserve. He looks great too, in an avocado-green suit that shouldn't work but somehow does.

Roll Deep come on to perform a mix of "Green Light" and "Good Times". I'm liking this album, it's very upbeat.

Reg makes a very hammy speech about peace - LOL.

Kanya King - the founder of the MOBOs - comes out to talk a little about the awards. God she's beautiful. I don't know how old she is, but if she thought up the MOBOs 15 years ago she's got to be more than 19, which is about how old she looks. Her dress is gorgeous too, white with slightly puffed sleeves and flapper-type fringe.

Tinchy Stryder closes the show. He's looking casual and good, and reminds me of Oli more than ever. I quite like this song (Second Chance) and am glad that he and Taio Cruz are collaborating again. Taio isn't onstage, but he's singing on the monitor behind. Tinch then sings something else - I'm not sure what - and is joined by Giggs, Professor Green and Devlin. What a great quartet! Oh, there's Tinie too - so a quintet. Nice way to close the show.

All in all, it was a great show. I'm sorry I couldn't be there in person - health probs got in the way, so Cam took his brother and sister (thank God they could get a third ticket last minute!) - especially since BBC1 only showed half the show. The bits they cut out were Best African Act, Best Reggae, Best Jazz, Best Gospel, Best UK R&B / Soul, Best International and BeMOBO (I don't know what that is). I particularly missed the Best Reggae, because I hear Gyptian won - I love him. That said, it was nice to watch from the comfort of my couch and blog to you from my bed rather than the car!

Hope you enjoyed, and you can always catch the show on BBC iPlayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment